Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Beginnings of Tragedy

In my (brief) readings about tragedy and the Greek plays, there were a few things I noticed. Firstly, I noticed that the basic premise of tragedy is somewhat perverted. "Tragedy is a form of art based on human suffering that offers it's audience pleasure." This seems pretty twisted when you look at it that way, doesn't it?




Tragedy can also be used as a cathartic sort of entertainment. This means that it brings out the intense feelings in its viewers and helps them to release those, especially if they had been holding them back or not wanting to show them at all. This can help someone feel better about a hard life situation, or help them realzie that they have it pretty good after all.



Here we go, embarking on a journey to discover what tragedy really is. I hope you enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

  1. You're right! It's important for the reader to be able to connect to the text; and reading tragedies is a great way for people to feel better about their own lives. I know they always make me feel better about mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you've started thinking about tragedy by questioning it. It's through questions and seeking understanding that we learn.

    ReplyDelete